Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fibonacci

We just finished a fabulous kids book for those that are interested in biographies and mathematics. It was Blockhead, the Life of Fibonacci by Joseph D'Agnese. It is a fictional account based on the few known facts about Leanardo Fibonacci.

I learned that he was from Pisa, Italy. Somehow I had never known that before. The book alludes to the fact that he lived there during the building of the leaning tower. I'll have to look more closely at timelines to see if that is really true.

For those of you with brain freeze, the Fibonacci sequence is started with 1 and 1 and is formed by adding 2 consecutive numbers to get the third. So, the first numbers of the sequence are 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, etc...

E made a stunning observation. As we were talking about the Fibonacci sequence, she piped up and said that she is a Fibonacci number. I didn't quite understand what she meant until she said that she is 5 and 5 is a Fibonacci number! Then she extended that with quite a bit of excitement that G is also a Fibonacci number since he is 8.

Then against many, many odds, it turns out that I am also a Fibonacci number! GA misses out and has to wait 20 years to be a Fibonacci number again, but it's amazing that 3 of the 4 of us fit into the sequence at the same time that we read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment