Thursday, July 30, 2009

World bowling and other notes

** Garey's parents gave him a puzzle for his birthday. We finally got it done. (The last few pieces were NOT easy to get in!) Now he thinks he should take it bowling! He even rolled it down the hallway and I am thrilled to say it stayed together! But he is under orders not to do it again - especially when little eyes are watching!



** What do you do with 40+ year old encyclopedias? Here I am using them to help support the quilt I'm trying to finish (one Christmas present almost done!) so that it lays flatter going through the machine. Garey doesn't like this use of the books... guess I'm going to have to make a quilting platform to go with the machine.

We actually do use the encyclopedias in day to day use. We often look up things that the kids have questions about while we are talking at meals or when the computer is turned off. There is something satisfying about having information at your fingertips instead of having to wade through a bunch of hits from Google. It's also great to help start teaching the kids about spelling, alphabetizing, and the usefulness of books!

The last thing we looked up was about the tales of King Arthur and Merlin... We (mainly me and Garett) have been reading a series of books called The Magic Tree House. One of the characters is Morgan Le Fay, so I told Garett that her brother was Merlin. Then we checked out The Sword in the Stone DVD from the library (little boy Arthur, being tutored by Merlin, pulls the sword from the stone in London, thereby becoming the king)... Disney just doesn't make good little boy movies like they used to. Even had the underlying morals in it... brains are better than brawn... Guess there aren't so many boy heroes as there are princess stories!

But I digress...

After we got the books put back on the shelf, it was back to finishing up some sewing projects... here is Emalee's new pillowcase... the main part is a material with the fairies Tinker Bell and her friends.


** The kids spent lots of energy having a jumping over swings contest after they had haircuts. I mention the haircuts simply because of the momentous occasion of this being Emalee's 2nd haircut!


** I played receptionist in the car the other day. A friend of mine called me saying that her husband (who is out of town) needed to talk to my husband and could she get Garey's office number to give to her husband (the two husbands work on projects together sometimes). The friends' husband had left her a message on the answering machine asking for it. I gave it to her and hung up. Well about 10 minutes later the phone rings again and it is my husband asking for her husband's cell phone number so Garey can call him back! (Now here is an aside that the reason I had his cell phone number is that they, like us, have only one cell phone between them... Whoever needs it for the day, gets it... So, it is really their cell phone number.)

Anyway, there is nothing like knowing you helped advance science! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for advancing science!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about making you the receptionist... it's funny how often we have to do that, but this is funny because 3 of us called within 10 minutes. Thanks! On another note, isn't amazing that you can call the cell as a "local call" when they're over 1000 miles away?

    ReplyDelete